Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Coping with Anxiety: Walking for Relaxation

Walking can be a very calming and soothing way to cope with anxiety. When walking to soothe anxiety, it is best to walk slowly and peacefully. The idea is not to do a "get your heart pumping" fitness exercise, but to find peace of mind.

Nature images are very helpful for reducing anxiety and leading us to a calm and peaceful state. A walk on the beach is almost a universal stress soother. Walks on nature trails, through wetlands, canyons and woods also reduce anxiety.

Most of us don't have time to get to a natural area every time we want to lessen anxiety and feel peace. Most of us can, however, find a few minutes to walk daily, noticing and appreciating nature wherever we are.

My own calming routine includes daily walks through residential areas, and a weekly walk in a more natural setting. If you were to take a daily walk, noticing nature wherever you are, it just might become a pleasant habit, and you may find yourself spending a half hour to an hour at it most days.

While walking through a residential area, or even the city, notice the trees, birds, rosebushes and other flowers and plants. Even the ocassional dandelion or milk thistle weed growing through cracks in the sidewalk can conjure up images of being out in the wilderness.

On my daily walk, I let my mind go free, noticing and accepting sights and sounds that present themselves. There may be a loud car stereo playing, which I simply notice. Soon I pass by or it passes by, and I may notice a crow cawing or smaller birds chirping or singing. I have noticed crows effortlessly "falling" out of trees onto the ground. There is something peaceful about that for me.

On your walk, you will become aware of many peaceful images. I enjoy seeing the interplay of light and shadow. I enjoy feeling the warmth of the sun, and then the coolness of the shade, over and over again within one short walk.

You may notice the fragrance of a freshly mowed lawn, and then the smell of fresh manure, er, I mean fertilizer. Then you may pass a rosebush, or a planter full of rosemary, and stop to take in the scent.

Sometimes I see the wind gently blowing through the trees, and it seems as if they are enjoying the breeze caressing and cooling their green hair. Then I realize my own hair is being cooled and caressed by the breeze.

My hope is that my description of these enjoyable walks will encourage you to give it a try. That you will get out and experience a bit of nature, wherever you are. While walking slowly along, notice whatever you see, hear, feel or smell. Mentally describe it.

When your worries come to mind, just notice them too, and keep walking along, noticing the next thing. That way, your worries are just part of the overall picture, and at least for a short time, less consuming.

Peacefully,
Kate

Kate Boswell, MFT, is a therapist in private practice in Marina del Rey. She helps people cope with anxiety, life altering illness, and other stressful life situations. For more information, visit her website www.2bstressfree.com.

No comments: